Have you ever envisioned owning the boat of your dreams? You have plenty of options, but being spoiled for choice doesn’t always mean you can get precisely what you want. Luckily, you can learn how to make a boat uniquely yours. Some premier boat manufacturers have a “build my boat” feature, allowing you to customize your new boat to suit your needs and personality.
With many elements to consider when buying a boat, knowing how to build a boat is a helpful and exhilarating experience. You can enjoy all the benefits of a quality machine, knowing you have a one-of-a-kind asset that reflects your originality.
Why Build Your Own Boat?
Everyone has their own goals when they buy a boat. Perhaps you’re looking for pure relaxation, or you want to focus on watersports. If you have a large family or want to invite groups aboard, your needs will be different than if you want to set out alone and try to land a big catch.
Customizing your boat lets you create the perfect vehicle to indulge in your leisure time. You can make it beautiful, choose the best engine for your preferred watersport, add a swimming platform or pick an option with extra seating. It’s a way to make your boat your own and turn it into something that truly meets your needs.
How to Build a Boat With Formula Boats
If you would like to build your boat, there are several ways to go about it. With Formula Boats, the process is simple — all you need to do to get started is access the online boat builder. From there, we’ll walk you through the options so once you’re finished, you’ve conceptualized your dream boat and can move on to the next steps.
1. Choose Your Model
The first thing to do when you build your own boat is to choose a model. Consider what you want to use your boat for — if you’re an avid watersports enthusiast, you’ll need a different boat than an angler, for example. Think about what size boat you need so you have a good idea of where to start.
Formula Boats specializes in uncompromising quality, and you have several premium powerboat choices, including:
- The Bowrider: This model is the ideal upscale sports boat for relaxing and having fun on the water. With four different sizes, you can accommodate the whole family or aim for a more intimate experience.
- The Crossover Bowrider: This luxury bowrider differs from the above option with a day-into-night cabin. It’s the perfect combination of an upscale sports boat and a comfortable overnight haven.
- The Super Sport Crossover: This singular combination of the sleek Super Sport models with the bow and cabin from the Crossover Bowrider series allows boaters the best of all worlds.
- The All Sport Crossover: In keeping with Formula Boats’ mission to provide boaters with the best of all worlds, this model is an exciting mix of Super Sport versatility, fishability, overnight capabilities and sleek sports performance.
- The Center Console: Consider the Formula 387 for the ultimate center console experience. With one meticulously designed boat, you can go from sport to fishing and back again.
- The Sun Sport: Once you try this streamlined and muscular sports model, you’ll know you’re in for a once-in-a-lifetime experience. The Sun Sport range boasts an innovative, versatile design that is practical, luxurious and a visual feast.
Formula Boats doesn’t build boats for everyone, but we do build for you. Once you have an idea of your preferred model, continue through the following steps to add your own flair.
2. Select Your Graphics
Click on the “build your boat” icon by your chosen model and prepare to have some fun. Formula Boats has almost limitless graphic options to ensure no one is driving a Formula quite like yours. Go through the standard and hullside flagship graphics to get an idea of what concept you prefer on a visual representation of your chosen model. You can also scroll through our standard palettes and pick a color combination that represents you.
If you’re looking for something even more specific, play around with the Formula Boats Graphics Configurator. You can create your own palette, stripe by stripe, choosing from a wide range of colors and designs.
3. Customize Your Engine Specifications
Choosing your performance capabilities is one of the most exciting things about building a boat. Think about how much horsepower you need and what engine options you prefer. Click on the ‘engines’ tab to explore the engine options available for your chosen model, choose from stern drive and outboard — if applicable for your model — and view your entire engine package.
Formula Boats offers engine extras, such as corrosion protection and theft-deterrent systems. You can also customize your engine’s appearance with the Formula Boats Engine Configurator. As you choose your custom options, you can keep track of them in the built-in cost calculator.
4. Decide on Your Optional Extras
Customizing your boat’s engine and appearance is not the only option for making it unique. Formula Boats has a range of extras to make your boat safer, more luxurious and more practical. Depending on your chosen model, you can choose from some of the many phenomenal additions, including:
- Satellite weather service receiver
- GPS and radar
- Thermal marine night-vision camera
- LED or LCD television
- Cockpit heaters and air conditioner
- Gas generator
- Cockpit grill or transom mount
- Stereo system
- Inflator for towable floats
- Remote control searchlight
- Bow docking lights
- VHF radio
- Retractable hardtop sunroof
- LED lighting system
- Swim platform options with vinyl decking
5. Finish With Your Interior
Once you’ve chosen the perfect combination of add-ons for your intended use, it’s time to start thinking about your cabin or cockpit decor. Click on the tab and browse some distinctive options to give your boat the personal touch. Add bed linens, towels, and even a custom coverlet, then move on to your cockpit color options. You can choose from many colors for your base vinyl, main accent, accent, upper piping and dash panel.
For the cabin, add subtle accents with your decorative pillows and draperies, choose a color for your cabin seating, customize your doors and finish off with Coriancountertops.
Build Your Dream Boat With Formula Boats Today
Building your own boat with Formula Boats means working with people committed to beautiful styling, advanced engineering and exhilarating performance. Our dedicated team of employees does their best daily to create unique boats that reflect their owners’ needs and personalities. Join the ever-growing family of boaters who enjoy the reassurance and luxury that is the Formula difference.